Friday, August 21, 2015

Thoughts on Latin

I love Latin!! In fact, I at one point wanted to be a Latin teacher.  I am excited about the opportunity to teach Latin to my children and other students at CC.

However, I know some of you are overwhelmed by Latin and don't have any background in it.  That's ok. Trust the memory work that Foundations is laying for us.  A lot of it may not make sense to our children yet, but the more they memorize, the easier it will be when they take Latin in middle school and high school.

On my very first day of Latin in high school, we learned a song for the noun declensions - which is what we are learning this year.  Knowing that song made reading Latin SOOO much easier.  So, it may seem pointless or boring or whatever to you at this point, but just learn the songs or chants (and keep it light and fun) and it will pay off dividends in the future.

For what it's worth, we learned first and second declensions to the tune of Jingle Bells.  Maybe I will post that song later this semester...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
A mom who is beginning the process of homeschooling her children. My background is in teaching ESL, as well as Bible teaching.